Home > Famous Travelers > Daisann McLane’s World Worsts

Daisann McLane’s World Worsts

Daisann McLane

Name Daisann McLane
Who? Writer, photographer, and (as yet undiscovered) calypso singer. Daisann writes the Real Travel column for National Geographic Traveler and just won the North American Travel Journalist’s Association’s first prize for best magazine travel column. Her book, Cheap Hotels (Taschen)  won the Lowell Thomas Gold Award for best travel book of 2003, for what the New Yorker describes as “glimpes of urban excitement and exotic tranquility tinged with the inevitable sadness of transience.” She has worked as a staff writer for Rolling Stone and penned The Frugal Traveler column for The New York Times.
She now splits her time between Brooklyn, New York and Hong Kong — where she recently started a private food tour company to help travelers avoid the Titanic pitfalls of badly translated Chinese menus. Check out her Real Travel blog here.
Age 52
Countries Visited 56

1. Worst Toilet Shanghai’s Fuyou Antiques market. A vendor pointed me to a corner by the stairwell. It had no cubicles, toilets or even water–you had to squat over a communal concrete sluice of shit that angled down to a hole in the concrete wall. Occasionally an attendant would come and slosh a bucket of water to keep all the stuff moving through. Later, traveling around China, I discovered that this was a common public toilet setup, dating from the pre-economic boom days. Now in China you’re more likely to find high-tech sensor-powered flush toilets. But there’s one thing you can always count on: hi or low tech, you won’t find any toilet paper in your mainland Chinese stall.
2. Worst Plane Ride Air Tonga, from Va’vaau to Tongatapu on a nine-seater twin prop. Some big chief’s funeral was going on, and I was waitlisted, standing on line behind what looked to be the entire Tongan rugby team. Their carry-on consisted of bundles of taro roots and whole roast pigs. The flight manager made each bereaved Tongan stand with his luggage on a old-fashioned metal scale, then wrote a figure down on a clipboard. He added everything up, scratched his head, added the column again, then looked up at me and shrugged as if to say: You want to try?
3. Most Annoying Tourist Attraction The Pyramids, hands down. I think I took a wrong turn at the McDonalds, and had to baksheesh my way through four rings of attendants before I even got close. It’s an ancient wonder, indeed: the world’s oldest and most authentic tourist trap.
4. Worst Hotel Bedspread Barnacle Bed and Breakfast, Big Pine Key, Florida. (see photo below) My book, Cheap Hotels, had a whole chapter devoted to the worst bedspreads I slept on during my six years as The New York Times‘ Frugal Traveler. This one was at least clean (while researching, I discovered that the average US hotel chain usually washes its spreads only once every 60 days!) but aesthetically, it was like coming home every night to a velvet cat painting.

Agree or disagree? Take the 2010 worst travel survey

badbedspread

Famous Travelers , , , , ,

1. September 14th, 2014 at 06:16 | #1

fxempire.it

2. September 14th, 2014 at 11:26 | #2

The girl Ports currently have constructed momentum and check to transport the idea directly into slide. [url=http://www.picketreport.com/ports.php?p=discount-gucci]discount gucci[/url]
    Boyhood pals [url=http://www.picketreport.com/ports.php?p=gucci-handbags-sale]gucci handbags sale[/url]
    Bob Houbregs, your Lounge regarding Reputation basketball game gambler which appeared on California along with played in the actual Basketball, has passed on. He or she seemed to be 82. [url=http://www.picketreport.com/ports.php?p=gucci-outlet-online]gucci outlet online[/url]
    The idea states that police officers office experienced “a custom made, insurance plan as well as practice, whether or not exhibit or maybe play acted . . . that will made it possible for this particular taking pictures to occur.In . [url=http://www.picketreport.com/ports.php?p=gucci-handbags-outlet]gucci handbags outlet[/url]
    “It was one thing with the visor, however it seemed to be nothing important,Inch Hamilton explained regarding his vision dilemma. “It was obviously a excellent day time for your staff to obtain a 1-2.Inches

3. September 14th, 2014 at 12:53 | #3

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4. September 22nd, 2014 at 11:40 | #4

his is three weeks earlier than normal because of the full implementation of the new PALS system for license purchasing. Applicants can submit their antlerless applications to any county treasurer in Pennsylvania. The antlerless application lists first, second and third preferences for which WMU the antlerless license is requested.

5. September 22nd, 2014 at 13:48 | #5

If you have been through a short sale or are considering one, talk to a Denver Bankruptcy Lawyer to see how bankruptcy can help you. It’s possible that some of your creditors won’t cooperate with credit counselling agencies.
    botas

6. September 23rd, 2014 at 04:18 | #6

I’m really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues? A small number of my blog readers have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
    clothes

7. September 23rd, 2014 at 12:50 | #7

It impressed, I need to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you’ve got hit the nail on the head.

8. September 24th, 2014 at 01:57 | #8

Allow yourself to become one with your partner, possess or let yourself be possessed? How far would you go for Love?
    cartier love ring

9. September 24th, 2014 at 03:08 | #9
  10. September 24th, 2014 at 12:57 | #10

Contained fires: There’s something innately comforting about a gently crackling, roiling indoor fire, so much so that we’re willing to tune our televisions to a recording of a burning log. Restaurants, looking to amp up the urban log cabin vibe (and the temperature), know this, and the result ranges from high romance (Auberge de Pommier) to high design (Oddfellows). For a non food experience, there’s hardly a toastier place to warm up with a good read than the University of Toronto’s Hart House library.

11. September 25th, 2014 at 05:08 | #11

The friend asks why and she says that Jesus has blessed her with a coupon and now she can afford some Coach shoes. Hill quit in September amid speculation she did not agree with Guillon’s strategy.Shares in Mulberry, which are down 25 percent on a year ago, were up 1.1 percent to 717.5 pence at 0833 ET.

12. September 25th, 2014 at 15:08 | #12

This is such an excellent post, and was thinking much the same myself.
    Another fantastic update.

13. September 25th, 2014 at 16:03 | #13

2014 dove season in North Carolina opens on Labor Day

14. September 26th, 2014 at 05:11 | #14

15. September 28th, 2014 at 12:38 | #15

I think this is among the most vital info for me.
    And i’m happy reading your article. However want to
    remark on some general things, The website style is great,
    the articles are really great : D. Excellent job, many thanks.

1. March 23rd, 2010 at 21:01 | #1