Home > Famous Travelers > James Ellis’ World Worsts

James Ellis’ World Worsts

January 11th, 2010 by Doug Lansky

jamesellisName James Ellis
Who? Journalist, photographer and former travel editor for the UK Metro newspaper. Currently writes two blogs: 1095miles.com about his daily running challenge and worldofjames.com
Age 42
Countries Visited 80 plus

1. Worst Flight Returning from Bangkok to London on Eva Air, a Taiwanese airline. I’ve had some scares in the past on flights, but this was the strangest. Mid-flight, the oxygen masks suddenly dropped down, the lights dimmed and exit lights lit up. Instinctively, I put the mask on and gave it a tug to get the oxygen going. No oxygen. People are panicking. The woman behind me is whaling. The cabin crew has their masks on. It goes on for ages — or so it seemed. It may have only been five minutes. Then the pilot comes out and is clearly astonished that people are wearing masks . He goes back into the cockpit and tells us that the electric system had been refitted and it was a glitch. They had no idea the masks had even dropped.
2. Worst Guides I was in Kenya in 2004 on the Laikipia Reserve taking a camel safari. There was a guide from the hotel and we had two Samburu Warriors (dressed a bit like the Maasai) to protect us. We were walking, leading the camel up a hill when we came into a clearing and saw a bull elephant just 10 feet away. The guide pulled his gun, I froze, the Elephant mock-charged a few steps and our fearless warriors — the ones meant to be protecting us — had made a run for it and were 300 meters away within seconds.
3. Worst Alcohol / Food Combo I typically try whatever. In this case it was Icelandic hákarl. They catch a shark, buried it for a year, dig it up, and pickle what’s left of the rotting meat, then serve it up with brennivin. After choking it down, I managed to say it was good. So they served up some more.
4. Worst Food Poisoning Chicken feet for breakfast in Hong Kong. (They had asked if we wanted a typical local breakfast and we had said yes.) When it started to go bad, my guide treated me with warm sprite and salt (her favorite remedy). I then turned the color of the exorcist girl and sand blasted the wall with my vomit.
5. Worst Statue In Wellington, New Zealand, halfway up the main shopping street. is a statue/fountain known as the bucket fountain. It has buckets on hinges that are meant to gracefully tip into the next and  cascade water down to the lower ones, but it doesn’t work as it’s meant to. The top bucket violently tips and splashes everyone with water.

Famous Travelers , , , ,

1. David
    January 12th, 2010 at 01:45 | #1

It’s the charm of the Bucket Fountain that makes it so great! It doesn’t discriminate on the basis of anything other than proximity – it’s the perfect piece of installation art in this crazy world of ours.

I’m sure it’s working *exactly* as it’s meant to ;)

2. January 12th, 2010 at 19:11 | #2

You clowns never cease to amaze me. Jim, Corporate affairs.

3. January 20th, 2010 at 03:17 | #3

The Bucket Statue is indeed odd, according to the Wellingtonite(tonner?) that showed me all about, it’s charm consists in sitting and watching as those out of the know get drenched.
    I have to admit, once in on the fun, I found it pretty enthralling.

4. Wireless
    February 4th, 2010 at 06:58 | #4

If the woman behind you was whaling, then indeed that would be quite a strange flight…

5. March 26th, 2010 at 07:36 | #5

So, what promises did you make to yourself while you thought the plane was going to crash?

6. emery ann harris
    June 19th, 2010 at 00:48 | #6

@Wireless
    And how did she get a harpoon on the airplane anyways?

7. January 25th, 2011 at 22:36 | #7

It is known that cash can make us autonomous. But what to do if somebody doesn’t have money? The only one way is to get the loans and just secured loan where site 91

8. December 6th, 2013 at 19:17 | #8

hello!,I like your writing so a lot! percentage we be
    in contact more approximately your article on AOL?
    I need a specialist on this area to resolve my problem.
    May be that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

9. January 5th, 2014 at 19:31 | #9

祝開店!大放出セール開催中!】バーバリー(Burberry)公式専売店!最高品質+最安価格+送料無料!バーバリートレンチコート、バーバリーマフラー、バーバリー時計、 バーバリーバッグ、バーバリージャケット、バーバリー財布など最新スタイルが大勢入荷!

10. March 28th, 2014 at 21:53 | #10

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly
    picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using
    this site, as I experienced to reload the web site
    many times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances
    times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.

Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective
    intriguing content. Make sure you update this again soon.

11. April 1st, 2014 at 16:41 | #11

do you need an urgent loan? is yes we offer all kind loans, contact us today via email: leohelpdesk8@gmail.com for more info..

12. May 7th, 2014 at 04:01 | #12

I will right away clutch your rss as I can’t in finding your
    e-mail subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you’ve any? Please allow me understand so that I
    may just subscribe. Thanks.

13. May 14th, 2014 at 03:54 | #13

Delivering items will be the third method to get free money in farmville.
    The 6.3-inch screen perfectly bridges the space between tiny
    supplements and large smartphones. It surely is determined by
    everything you like.

14. May 31st, 2014 at 05:19 | #14

Google has reported that Instant Previews is now designed for iOS.
    Please note that this isn’t the fighting game that is being released
    on home consoles. This iPhone event will set you back $49.95.

15. June 1st, 2014 at 13:08 | #15

Your kids can color and become fashion designers in the same time!
    Till then, I had no idea a kid could clench his jaws shut
    with such steely determination. It will be fun to check out come july 1st and in years ahead.

16. June 2nd, 2014 at 03:29 | #16

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting!
    I quite enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will
    ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back later in life.
    I want to encourage continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

17. June 4th, 2014 at 08:48 | #17

Enabling this function will permit you to instantly reply without quitting
    the current web page. If you have your iPad jailbreak, you do not
    want your device to go again. Other benefits of unlocking your gadget is the addition of Cydia.

18. June 4th, 2014 at 09:06 | #18

Nobody, naturally, embraces that information. To get entertainment of eating sugars,
    it is good setting aside it for special functions. There’s no such thing as an individual diabetes diet, though.

19. June 11th, 2014 at 10:18 | #19

Gone would be the days of the tedious and digital
    hues ‘tring’ tone, that was normal for every phone. User y stated:
    The Android capsule is inside,s start, but keeps growing by leaps and bounds.

20. June 12th, 2014 at 05:55 | #20

Speaking tom is now accessible via Intel Appup, which make everything simple and trouble free to get it.
    Set up an file supervisor app this kind of as ASTRO File Manager and find
    the WhatsApp backups folder.

21. June 13th, 2014 at 21:44 | #21

Setați ca anunțurile dvs. să se uite pur și simplu
    pentru persoanele care caută într-o anumită regiune .
    La aceste tipuri vor vedea o mulțime de oameni
    cu informații benefice și utile .

22. June 15th, 2014 at 12:02 | #22

Thinking could try with them, or just make a bargain instead.
    Salvatore and in charge of the artwork continues to be no apart
    from Todd McFarlane (Creator of Spawn). It’s recommended for racing
    enthusiasts.

23. June 16th, 2014 at 01:40 | #23

Maintain your look clean, up to date and all your own with these 5 easy to stay
    with policies.

24. July 8th, 2014 at 09:58 | #24

Highly energetic post, I enjoyed that a lot.
    Will there be a part 2?

25. August 7th, 2014 at 06:06 | #25

They’re probably the most affordable type of shutters.
    To the other-hand, a double-hung window has both selections functional.
    Here are a few of the very preferred estimates you will want to article on Facebook.

26. August 29th, 2014 at 13:05 | #26

It is the most popular socialnetworking site on earth. What type of flower, tune, or star personality they’re.
    With computers linked to community, the number of choices of items we could do is unlimited.

27. September 1st, 2014 at 07:59 | #27

You can use and sim-card while you uncover your iPhone
    with it. Features of iPad are far more than others that’s why most
    of the people like it.

28. September 1st, 2014 at 12:26 | #28

De aceea, jocuri de noroc are gust atrăgător remarcabil o face .
    Piese de mare este esențială pentru cluburi de noapte exotice , pentru că muzica dă tonul pentru fete pentru a
    efectua . Mă trezește să răspundă cu dorința și mă face să
    vreau mai mult .

29. September 2nd, 2014 at 09:36 | #29

Now as a last stage 3G watcher need to be set up.The method
    needs to be restarted now. Other advantages of
    unlocking your device is the addition of Cydia. At function he has two assistants that
    construction his working day.

30. September 2nd, 2014 at 18:19 | #30

The main enjoyment of this social-network is having a profile that’s different from everyoneis.
    The green hills of Ireland have now been generating rock bands considering that the early sixties.

31. September 4th, 2014 at 21:12 | #31

What is an iPod if it generally does not have the best visitors in the music world kept on its recollection? Your first issue should be guarding your charge
    card info.

32. September 6th, 2014 at 05:05 | #32

The site that you have been redirected to will have all of the spirits that are available for you to send.

There is a greater model that you could buy, but I doubt if it is needed by
    most users.

33. September 11th, 2014 at 14:48 | #33

Hope you have enjoyable with your new jailbroken iPhone.
    It doesn’t price a cent to look at these amazing wp themes.
    I discovered it to be with a lot of stability and 8001003D and 8001003E errors fixes.

34. September 12th, 2014 at 11:58 | #34

With assistance from qualified method, we are able to be comfortable with our Computer
    security. Windows 7 key is usually located on a yellow decal.

With Vista, I could not have it to wake back up.

35. September 16th, 2014 at 01:54 | #35

Acest semnal poate fi un pic mai greu uneori pentru a naviga .
    Păstrați luminile dim sau de a folosi o lanternă sau lumânări pentru
    unele ambianta . Modificări înconjurat de comportament stil de viata sunt psihoterapia
    principal pentru hipertrigliceridemie .

36. Dr PASCA
    September 18th, 2014 at 12:36 | #36

Needing Financial Aid In South Africa?
    Loans Up To R 430 000 Quick Response With Outcome.
    Get your loan of up to R430,000 approved in under an hour, Guaranteed!
    Personal Loans In South Africa
    Debt Quotes And Advice In South Africa.
    Insurance Quotes In South Africa
    We Will Get You The Best Quote On Your Financial Needs.
    Apply for cash
    Receive an Approval
    Check your Bank Account
    Get a personal loan for up to R280 000 cash which you can
    use for anything
    Help for people with a poor credit rating, garnishee orders
    and defaults
    Receive approval via SMS and get instant access to your loan
    Cellphone deals – Home Loans – Insurances
    Medical – Funeral – Hospital – Life – Car – Legal Cover.
    We at Elan financial service offers loans at 2% interest rates to all our clients around South Africa, we are 100% guaranteed loan company that can deliver what we promise to our clients. With the track record that we have we can ensure you get the best of our service, we are proud to say that we help hundreds of thousands of people out that can’t get help anywhere in the country..
    That’s why we are proud to say we the best and the only company that can and will help you. I hope and believe that you will find us and our company and our work to your satisfaction. Have you being declined because of your bad credit history contact us today for your speedy loan Approval and transfer, You can Apply today irrespective of your location or race so far you meet our criteria, Contact us today via email: (elanfinancialservicesltd@yahoo.co.za)

37. September 24th, 2014 at 10:55 | #37

Select the Winterboard and use this topic that you need.
    Well there-you go, these are the 5 crucial apps for jailbroken iPhones.
    Expertise Native American culture that is authentic.

38. October 19th, 2014 at 03:14 | #38

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

1. January 4th, 2014 at 15:27 | #1