Mark Frary’s World Worsts
Name Mark Frary
Who? Business travel editor (and ski editor) of Times Online and the author of several popular science books including The Origins of the Universe for Dummies and Freaky Science. Check out his site at markfrary.com
Countries Visited 56
1. Worst Airline Garuda Indonesia. The week before I was due to fly with them on a particular service, part of the wing fell off. Also had oxygen masks fall down in flight.
2. Worst Flight BA flight from Heathrow to Geneva in the early 1990s. As I looked outside, the engine burst into flame after being struck by lightning. Even the cabin crew looked scared.
3. Worst Camping Spot The Leeds Festival, on a busy walkway just opposite the toilets and a 24hr burger bar – the only space left.
4. Worst Hotel Hotel Ibis, Luton Airport. The room smelled of vomit, the walls were speckled with something disgusting and the toilet seat was on the floor. Even the kids turned their noses up at the dinner buffet.
5. Worst City for Driving Athens. I thought I was so clever printing off directions from Google Maps before I arrived. Sadly the difference between Greek upper and lower case letters stumped me and there really is only space for one car (less wing mirrors) on many of the city roads.