Home > Food, Photos, Survey Results > Which Country Has the World’s Worst Cuisine?

Which Country Has the World’s Worst Cuisine?Nominee

britishfood

photo by ctoverdrive via flickr

titanic awards survey current standings
World’s Worst National Cuisine

3.2% of votes

2.6% of votes

2.3% of votes

2.0% of votes

Agree or disagree with the results? take the 2010 survey >>

Follow the Titanic Awards feed on Twitter >>

(15 votes, average: 5.73 out of 10)
Loading ... Loading ...

Food, Photos, Survey Results , , , , ,

1. Weves
    June 25th, 2009 at 15:56 | #1

I think this is ridiculous.

It’s not been noted that (desite Japan having the most michelin decorated resturamts) the UK has some of the most recognised and best resturants in the world. It’s resturants are not only top-ranking in the world (see for example the Fat Duck and Nobu) but it is the most metropolitan and safest place to eat in the world.

Our temporate climite insures that we have less vermin and insect infestations, our wealth ensures quality for the most part, our manners ensure hygene and our diversity inspires variety.

Have you not eaten in Turkey…Egypt…Saudi Arabia, place were you would get sheep eyes as a delicacy as opposed to “haggis” which is considered a joke anyway.

Also do not confuse British with “English”, the English diet is far superior to the Welsh and Scotish (health statistics prove this) and further to this do not confuse the cusine of the south and the north! They are as different as French and German!

2. Weves
    June 25th, 2009 at 15:57 | #2

@Weves
    I was in a bit of a rage there: *Climate **Fewer (not less) ***and I’m sure a few others.

I am currently having diarreah from Turkey might I add, and I don’t mean the bird.

3. Anonymous
    August 2nd, 2009 at 00:50 | #3

the worst cuisine i ever ssen in my life

4. Barking Spiders
    August 14th, 2009 at 15:49 | #4

Weves – most of the better restaurants in the UK happen to be French, Italian, Indian and South East Asian. These are relatively few and far between. The majority of bog standard restaurants, cafes and gastro pubs simply mix and match and heat up processed food made in huge factories. Unlike most countries that have strong food cultures and where people mostly buy their food in markets and from artisan food producers, the majority of Brits shop in supermarkets buying ready meals,other heavily processed food and fruit and veg of uniform colour and size – all of which are devoid of taste and nutrition. Then there is the massive junk food and take away market. The sad thing is there’s a lot of great whole, natural food produced in the UK but much of it is exported – langoustines, snails, shellfish, lamb, veal – as Brits wont eat it.

5. WT 2009
    September 30th, 2009 at 01:40 | #5

Sheep eyes a delicacy in Egypt, Turkey and Saudi Arabia? You have no idea what you are talking about. Egypt has some of the most delicious meals you could eat and as for Turkey..wow.

6. WT 2009
    September 30th, 2009 at 01:44 | #6

I think the UK is number one because of all the marmite, black pudding and offals. Forget about getting a decent breakfast in the UK, it’s disgusting.

7. JCG
    November 25th, 2009 at 04:08 | #7

I can’t believe that the U.S.A is on there, for worst national cuisine. The food in the U.S, is good. It might be unhealthy, but it is awesome.

8. Goldfish
    December 2nd, 2009 at 05:02 | #8

I found almost everything I ate in the USA was either too sweet, too salty or sometimes both at once. Except for the fresh fruit and vegetables, which had barely any taste at all. Awesomeness is obviously very subjective.

9. roger
    December 7th, 2009 at 10:13 | #9

Wow I am shocked at the results. At least in countries like Enland and America there are many top restaurants and many different cuisines available. Anyway despite this, what is more shocking is that this list isn’t dominated by East European countries. East European cuisine would have to be the worst. Its very simple peasant food esentially, with little herbs and spices and no presentation.

10. December 29th, 2009 at 17:21 | #10

erm Nobu is American, and this is talking about national cuisine not restaurants, and I am wholly in accordance, I think that British food is just bleh, I mean really… cornish pasties, gross.

11. b.Wells
    February 26th, 2010 at 02:26 | #11

Hey!! I personally love British and German food, though i do agree with america being one of the worst, it is too salty and the portions are way too big. I’m Canadian and I think that think that this is a very personal choice and that rating it is always going to bring mixed up results because everyone is judgmental in some form or another so the results are based on preference not truth

12. dudewholovesfood
    March 8th, 2010 at 15:35 | #12

I have lived and worked in the UK for almost 5yrs and I hated everymoment of it . . .the only good thing about england is that majority people are friendly, loving and caring (except the YOBS) . . however english food is the worst in the world and i completely agree with the stats. . .bland, tasteless, sometimes deep fried food soaked in oil, pigs blood and what not. . .trust me if it was not for the multi cultural feel and approach of england with its numerious restaurants. . .i would not have survived . . the point is that ENGLISH FOOD SUCKS BIG TIME . . .period!! (its the Asian, Chinese & European foods that have helped UK survive all this while) . . .just ask the millions of brits that are leaving the country and migrating to places like Spain, Italy and Australia.

13. Quentin Crisp
    March 8th, 2010 at 17:14 | #13

French food is the most overrated garbage on planet earth with Japanese running a close second.

14. March 10th, 2010 at 10:12 | #14

good thing, i stop eating red meat

15. nana amo essel michael
    March 19th, 2010 at 00:29 | #15

i think you guyz were wrong when you selected china has the third when you know that china has got most.

16. Anonymous
    April 6th, 2010 at 05:24 | #16

clearly no one has eaten korean food on a regular basis

17. sonya
    April 12th, 2010 at 00:03 | #17

It is about where you choose to eat. If you do your homework, you can eat well anywhere. The Tea houses in Nepal had pretty horrible food, everything was fried? Good thing I brought peanut butter and protein bars. Oh, and africa, at least traveling on the safari circuit, I learned to hate tilapia.

18. unattached
    April 20th, 2010 at 22:30 | #18

It’s all relative to one’s hunger;
    whether or not one can see, taste, touch, or smell what one eats;
    and, of course, who’s buying.
    Conclusion:
    1) Planet Earth has some delicious food, good eats joints, and fine dining establishments.
    2) One dog’s dung is another dog’s appetizer.
    3) “Soilent Green”

19. Joanne
    April 22nd, 2010 at 06:19 | #19

First of all, Turkish food is delicious! Flavorful and not too spicy. Second, i agree “american” food is terrible, its the ethnic foods in america that are good. Thirdly, i think this is a ranking of overall cousin, not specific restaurants

20. Nyron
    April 28th, 2010 at 22:20 | #20

What a load of tosh. You can’t beat waking up on a weekend with a massive full English breakfast in front of you. Fried eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, black pudding, fried tomatoes, hash browns.

And as for an English Sunday dinner, it’s unbeatable. Lovely roast beef/lamb/pork, yorkshire puddings, veg, potatoes, soaked in gravy.

pppffffffftt, you people have no taste.

21. ray
    June 18th, 2010 at 18:32 | #21

@Weves

They mean British cuisine historically I BELIEVE NOT RESTAURANTS THAT SERVE MANY TYPES OF FOOD.

22. CC
    June 18th, 2010 at 19:36 | #22

This list is rubbish. If this list is about healthy food then the list is pretty accurate. However if it’s about nice, tasty food then the US, UK (best chicken and chip shops ever) and China have some of the best food in the world (apart from Nigeria and Ghana).

23. Dennis Bohner
    June 18th, 2010 at 22:38 | #23

I do not know what American Cuisine is. Is it the California sushi rolls, the Philly Cheesesteaks, the various Pizzas or the ethnic food available about everywhere. As to any moron who thinks that the portions are too big, Christ, get a life. Share with those who are hungry or order less, munchkin belly.
    You can ask that they do not salt your food.
    Do any of you actually eat out? I think Euro food is OK but is freaking overpriced and generally undistinguished. For the price of a continental anything, I can have guests.

24. Lindsey
    June 19th, 2010 at 02:29 | #24

How about Iceland? Or Canada – donuts, poutine, beer & salmon.

25. rahim
    June 19th, 2010 at 10:19 | #25

English food really is disgusting. They are constantly taking from other cuisines and trying to pass it off as British. Can’t blame them though, I’d do the same if if my cuisine was as nasty and unhealthy.

26. rahim
    June 19th, 2010 at 10:21 | #26

And their unhygienic agricultural practices only add to the lack of any desire to eat in England. Remember Mad Cow – their cannibalize their livestock – feed dead animals to cows and chicken. Gross.

27. eater
    June 19th, 2010 at 10:39 | #27

Well since much of American cuisine (especially in the midwest) has its roots in British, German and Nordic cooking, I guess it makes sense that they all wind up on this list.

B. Wells: seems to me that Canadian cooking is very much like American. Except it comes to the table colder.

28. Hairyarsedpeanut
    June 19th, 2010 at 17:45 | #28

This is an absolute outrage! After Reading some of these comments it’s clear some people have no idea.
    Britain should be number one in the world. Simple.

29. Miles
    June 19th, 2010 at 23:32 | #29

The US has cajun and creole. Sure maybe it was stolen from the Acadians hundreds of years ago, but if you haven’t eaten the southern US cuisine, you’ve never eaten American food. It is some of the most delicious in the world.

I won’t even mention New England.

That said, I understand why the US was chosen, with the obesity rates and those disturbing stretches of roads in each town with every fast food chain known to man.

But I think this whole list is kind of based on the stereotypes of what people think America (McDonalds) and British (pub food) cuisines are like, rather based on any kind of careful consideration of taste and nutrition available.

Clearly these people have never tried Mongolian food. It’s downright nasty, and based mainly on yak dairy and fat. It’s near impossible to find veg or anything resembling fruit there most of the year.

And have you tried the local grub in Montreal? It mainly consists of indian take out, poutine (fries gravy and cheese curd), and pizzaghettis – pizza with spaghetti on top. I couldn’t find a single local dish anywhere that I liked (except the bagels).

I would throw some other Eastern European countries up there as well.

30. traveler1
    June 21st, 2010 at 15:52 | #30

@Goldfish
    I was shocked to see the USA on the list at all…obviously “Titanic awards” is very bias…USA happens to have the most cuisine awards in the world…even Italian food is better in the USA that it is in Italy…and the same goes for Fruits and vegetebles…

31. Anonymous
    June 22nd, 2010 at 01:20 | #31

China?? Really??

32. NANCY CAVALLIN
    June 22nd, 2010 at 13:19 | #32

You’ll notice Italy is not anywhere on that list! That would just be absurd!

33. Jon
    June 26th, 2010 at 11:16 | #33

I think people voted based on stereotypes they don’t fully understand. Black puddings are difficult for some to comprehend, but they actually have a very familiar flavor and I think are delicious. American food? Ok. Maybe American cuisine has been damaged by fast food culture, but that’s not really representative of cuisine. Germany?! German cuisine is one of the best in the world. It’s much more than sausages. How can you go wrong with spaetzle, meat, potatoes and the finest beers in the world?

Now look to Asia. There’s some nasty food. China and Korea definitely would be at the top of the list if more people knew. Want to know why many people don’t know much about Korean food? It’s so boring and horrible that it’s nigh impossible to break into the western palate.

34. Paul Seno
    July 23rd, 2010 at 07:52 | #34

Hi all, I’ve eaten food in all its local variations in many European countries, the United States, Australia, Asia and China. The worst national food ever has to be the United States and no other country comes close. Disgusting food can be found everywhere but in the US it is the norm. Everything too big, sweet, too salty, too greasy, bland, poor quality, no texture, way over processed and poorly cooked. Even fresh produce like vegetables,fruit and meat are below standard. I usually eat most things that are served to me but in the US nearly every day I take a bite of something and then throw it away in disgust. That goes for even upmarket restaurants I visited. Even foreign cuisines in the US are generally disgusting and dumbed down. There is good food to be found however if one tries hard or is lucky and San Francisco is about the best place to eat in the US.

As for the other places,China is generally good to excellent but also bad depending on region. The UK is much improved from 20 years ago and getting better. Continental European food is generally very good and has quality but is better down south and Middle Eastern food is great. Australia is also vastly improved. Asian food is fantastic and I wonder how a poor country like Vietnam whips the US hands down with its outstanding cuisine and fresh ingredients in comparison.

Even US junk food like McDonalds, KFC etc id far better in places like Australia than in its home country..

35. Paul Seno
    July 23rd, 2010 at 09:02 | #35

Further , after the one and only time I took my wife to the US she developed a psychological eating disorder that took many years to overcome. She will not go back no matter what because of the food there. The best three US food items IMO.
    (1) Tabasco sauce(to make food more palatable).
    (2) Heirloom tomatoes(the best selection in the world when in season)
    (3) Bagels(very good in most locations).

36. July 25th, 2010 at 09:57 | #36

@Weves
    I have leaved in the US, Great Britain, Germany and France
    The average food was awful everywhere except in Fance. It was sad to see how people can kill food!

37. Shelley
    July 31st, 2010 at 17:36 | #37

Clearly the author has not been to Taiwan.

38. Vale
    August 6th, 2010 at 02:52 | #38

Well, just think that in England (and so in US, which is in this list obviously for their English descent) they had to borrow a word from French to indicate “the art and the tradition of cooking”, they probably didn’t even know what it was all about!

39. Anonymous
    August 13th, 2010 at 04:58 | #39

@JJ Galore

sorry nobu is a peruvian japanese cuisine…not american.

40. jeff
    September 9th, 2010 at 01:29 | #40

El Salvador is the worst cuisine in the world

41. jeff
    September 9th, 2010 at 01:31 | #41

And Africa too!!!

42. Marie
    September 11th, 2010 at 22:14 | #42

The worse food I have ever tasted is in IRELAND
    Maybe they are too busy drinking

43. September 26th, 2010 at 07:57 | #43

Cuban food is pretty bad. I suppose not that many people go there so it doesn’t get voted. And why is China on the list? Chinese food is one of the greats.

44. Ken
    September 29th, 2010 at 19:32 | #44

Man, how could you guys put the USA 2nd? They never ate my grandmas chocolate pie, my pulled pork, or my mother in laws biscuits. Ummmmmmmmmm

45. Paul Seno
    October 7th, 2010 at 02:01 | #45

Jut got back from Taiwan. Agree that food was bad there. Their food culture has many influences. But mostly representative examples of bad Chinese, Japanese and American cuisine. For the purpose of this discussion I think it would be better to discount poor third world countries cuisines because unlike in more developed countries people mostly don’t have a choice for what they eat.

46. RealFoe
    October 13th, 2010 at 00:01 | #46

25.1% of votes England i guess ,what do they eat in Ireland 2% .. Do people eat in these places before voting ,or is it just a grudge match.

47. Sebastian Sellers
    October 18th, 2010 at 19:49 | #47

Obviously some people haven’t had a good old English Sunday roast, and not even getting on to full English breakfast. Jesus I love English food, according to this survey that makes me weird LOL.

48. Pete
    October 25th, 2010 at 21:40 | #48

This is an interesting thread. Of course it will be very subjective. I came back from the US only yesterday after a weeks vacation and I can say that the food was a massive let down. EVERYTHING is so sweet even savoury meals, why does everything have to have so much sugar in it? I travel a lot, English food has improved tremendously and is currently pretty good. I’ve been to France over 30 times and I have never had ONE decent meal there! Try Belgium, their food is fantastic. Turkish, Korean, Lebanese, Italian, Chinese, Japanese some of the best there is. Polish food is appaling however.

49. Paul
    November 6th, 2010 at 16:31 | #49

Why stay then?
    Honestly USA by far the worst and the UK is stereotyped. We have more restaurants which produce good food refelcting cuisine of the whole world. Our Italian restaurants are great as are our Chinese, Thai, Modern European the list goes on. American food has no taste at all, I hate eating there. Pies – great. Game – great. Gravy great the list goes on but hey you’re the one missing out.

50. emily
    November 19th, 2010 at 04:05 | #50

Well, British food is pretty bad…American food is actually not bad…well…they are famous for Barbecue…they have different Barbeue sauces that varies from state to state. Their rib joints are awesome, and they also have an obsession with chilli. And they are very regional, too.

1 2 3 4