Home > Famous Travelers > Rory MacLean’s World Worsts

Rory MacLean’s World Worsts

rorymaclean
Name Rory MacLean
Who? Award-winning travel writer with a regular column in The Guardian and the Goethe-Institut
.  His six books include the acclaimed bestsellers Stalin’s Nose and Under the Dragon. Rory has won the Yorkshire Post Best First Work prize and an Arts Council Writers’ Award, was twice shortlisted for the Thomas Cook Travel Book Prize and was nominated for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary award. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and was described by William Dalrymple as “the last literary traveler.” Born in Canada and a resident for many years in the UK, he now lives with his family in Berlin. More at RoryMacLean.com
Age 52
Countries Visited 87

1. Worst Bus Ride Toronto Transit Commission’s route 33A, which I rode every day to school.  The bus was so slow and dependable that it helped drive me away from Canada and out into the wild, unpredictable and ever-surprising wider world.
2. Worst Decision on the Road In rural Burma while researching Under the Dragon, I accepted the offer of a ride into the Shan hills from a warlord.  During the journey he drank heavily, shot dozens of tropical birds with an AK-47 and at the end of the day pulled out his pistol and accused me of not respecting him.  It was the worst decision because I took along my wife, and so endangered her life.  The journey could have gone very, very badly.  The decision still haunts me to this day.
3. Worst Flight A Cubana Airlines internal flight with chickens in the overhead compartments and livestock in the aisle.  On the final approach to Havana I thought I was going to die (from the smell).
4. Worst Car Rental Once I rented a car in France – I won’t say where – from a total charlatan.  He promised me a new model, but gave me an old banger. He said I could collect it at nine in the morning, but didn’t turn up until noon.  He assured me there would be no mileage charge, and that too was a lie.  So in a desire for some small justice, I disconnected the odometer and drove hundreds of miles without clocking up a single one of them.

5. Worst Souvenir While researching Magic Bus, traveling across Asia along the old hippie trail, I was careful about my diet.  I was so relieved to have survived Afghanistan that, when I crossed into Pakistan and stayed with a Canadian friend in Peshawar, I let down my guard… and ate a peanut butter and jam sandwich with accompanying lettuce leaf.  I suffered from amoebic dysentery for the following month.

Follow the Titanic Awards feed on Twitter >>

Famous Travelers , , , , , ,

1. September 7th, 2014 at 00:41 | #1

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been doing a little research on this.
    And he in fact ordered me lunch because I found it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this subject here on your
    blog.

2. September 9th, 2014 at 04:02 | #2

Comfort comes in the form of the beautifully upholstered
    reclinable deck seats and bow seats, and a drive. With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why
    so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their
    products. Bait casting are multiplying reels, with the spool mounted above the rod.

3. September 12th, 2014 at 21:22 | #3

”One wonders if she would get help in real terms — whether somebody will help her recover the money now that she has raised her voice. Punjab government has passed a law for domestic workers and the law is under discussion in KP.The project will pay back its cost in 8 years and would also extend life of Tarbela reservoir by 35 years by blocking the sediments upstream.The committee endorsed the vision to put Pakistan on the crossroads of opportunity rather than conflict to spur growth for prosperity of the people. Many of the females lumber in from the burrows, though it pretends to be just scribbled off on the spur of the moment. senior equity trader at Cabrera Capital Markets Inc in Boston. Shares jumped as much as 19 percent on Thursday after initial reports of a bid this week from founder Richard Schulze.” Rattazzi said.October’s figure marked the smallest expansion since November 2009.
    [url=http://www.soleiado.es/es2014/airmax90esp4754.asp?p4754=nike-air-max-95-360-c-126.html]Nike Air Max 95 360[/url]
    Nike Air Max 95 360

4. September 13th, 2014 at 00:49 | #4

Rory MacLean’s World Worsts | The Titanic Awards
    air max bebe

5. September 13th, 2014 at 02:58 | #5

The basis for a diagnosis will start with a thorough examination by your veterinarian. Purchase
    shampoo or other hair care products that are meant specifically for people with thinning hair.
    We live in a climate that gets hot and humid and there are many activities
    to choose from.

6. September 13th, 2014 at 03:14 | #6

Alert — Don’t Try to follow some other bags Tutorials Before You Look At Zero cost Ground-breaking report
    top quality moncler alpin classic eider down jackets women fur collar black wholesaler

7. September 13th, 2014 at 04:04 | #7

Admiring the time and effort you put into your site and in depth data you present. It’s good to come across a blog every once in a although that isn’t exactly the same old rehashed details. Amazing read! I’ve bookmarked your internet site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

8. September 13th, 2014 at 13:35 | #8

I was just searching for this info for a while. After six hours of continuous Googleing, finally I got it in your website. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this type of informative websites in top of the list. Usually the top web sites are full of garbage.

9. September 15th, 2014 at 02:57 | #9

Be seen by those searching for you online by being represented on the first page of major and local search engines.
    Through a process of analyzing the inbound links into your site,
    you can see if they look legitimate or not, and if they are not then you
    can tell Google not to count them. This is where businesses can inspire and move people.

10. September 18th, 2014 at 09:03 | #10

I delight in, result in I discovered exactly what I used to
    be having a look for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

11. September 20th, 2014 at 23:33 | #11

Thus we became noobs on the water when we purchased our 1957 Sea King with a 1964 Johnson motor.
    Wherever you go, different rules may apply, and some of them will be regional only.
    Her husband, Ian, is a pilot at the New River Air Station near Camp Lejeune.

12. September 21st, 2014 at 14:01 | #12

This diet however is somewhat controversial because reviews about its efficiency
    are mixed and kind of confusing. To get firmer arms, legs, and buttocks you’ll want to supplement, diet, as well as exercise.
    I know, I’m not one to waste either, but look at it
    this way, you’re keeping everything that is necessary
    and eliminating what is not.

13. September 21st, 2014 at 14:38 | #13

We’rе a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You have
    done an impressive јob and our whole community will be grateful to
    you.