Home > Famous Travelers > Rory MacLean’s World Worsts

Rory MacLean’s World Worsts

rorymaclean
Name Rory MacLean
Who? Award-winning travel writer with a regular column in The Guardian and the Goethe-Institut
.  His six books include the acclaimed bestsellers Stalin’s Nose and Under the Dragon. Rory has won the Yorkshire Post Best First Work prize and an Arts Council Writers’ Award, was twice shortlisted for the Thomas Cook Travel Book Prize and was nominated for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary award. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and was described by William Dalrymple as “the last literary traveler.” Born in Canada and a resident for many years in the UK, he now lives with his family in Berlin. More at RoryMacLean.com
Age 52
Countries Visited 87

1. Worst Bus Ride Toronto Transit Commission’s route 33A, which I rode every day to school.  The bus was so slow and dependable that it helped drive me away from Canada and out into the wild, unpredictable and ever-surprising wider world.
2. Worst Decision on the Road In rural Burma while researching Under the Dragon, I accepted the offer of a ride into the Shan hills from a warlord.  During the journey he drank heavily, shot dozens of tropical birds with an AK-47 and at the end of the day pulled out his pistol and accused me of not respecting him.  It was the worst decision because I took along my wife, and so endangered her life.  The journey could have gone very, very badly.  The decision still haunts me to this day.
3. Worst Flight A Cubana Airlines internal flight with chickens in the overhead compartments and livestock in the aisle.  On the final approach to Havana I thought I was going to die (from the smell).
4. Worst Car Rental Once I rented a car in France – I won’t say where – from a total charlatan.  He promised me a new model, but gave me an old banger. He said I could collect it at nine in the morning, but didn’t turn up until noon.  He assured me there would be no mileage charge, and that too was a lie.  So in a desire for some small justice, I disconnected the odometer and drove hundreds of miles without clocking up a single one of them.

5. Worst Souvenir While researching Magic Bus, traveling across Asia along the old hippie trail, I was careful about my diet.  I was so relieved to have survived Afghanistan that, when I crossed into Pakistan and stayed with a Canadian friend in Peshawar, I let down my guard… and ate a peanut butter and jam sandwich with accompanying lettuce leaf.  I suffered from amoebic dysentery for the following month.

Follow the Titanic Awards feed on Twitter >>

Famous Travelers , , , , , ,

1. November 9th, 2014 at 11:16 | #3

Great blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
    green uggs on sale
    [url=http://www.aquainspiration.com/?shop=green-uggs-on-sale&id=18774]green uggs on sale[/url]

2. November 9th, 2014 at 11:19 | #4

I appreciate your wp design, wherever did you get a hold of it from?

3. November 9th, 2014 at 12:22 | #5

自然の力には勝てないので http://www.cec-eg.com/member.asp 仕切り直すために一度引き返すことにした。 無料の食事を配るというよりも、そこで一緒にコミュニケーションを取りながら、食事を作っていくという方向に徐々に変更していったのです避難所は、去年10月11日に閉鎖されましたが、閉鎖されるまでは避難所の手伝いを継続的に行いました。 とおどろいたものですが、高速道路走行にはすごくうれしいミッションであって、その下1,2,3,4,5速が悔しいくらいにクロスしているギヤレシオなのです。

4. November 9th, 2014 at 14:26 | #6

Rory MacLean’s World Worsts | The Titanic Awards
    [url=http://www.g2vk7bc7mhc5vta956b234432vus9e80s.org/]ukgsbbykpl[/url]
    akgsbbykpl
    kgsbbykpl http://www.g2vk7bc7mhc5vta956b234432vus9e80s.org/

5. November 9th, 2014 at 15:21 | #7

Attractive section of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to
    claim that I get in fact loved account your weblog
    posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing on your feeds or even I achievement you get admission to consistently fast.

6. November 9th, 2014 at 15:44 | #8

It seems to me that MRP is not adding a huge amount of value here — certainly nothing commensurate with the amount of money it’s likely to make. The real value is added by the use of eminent domain to buy the liens, and it’s the municipal government, rather than MRP, which has that power. So if anybody makes money from using eminent domain, it should be taxpayers: not some private-sector middleman.

7. November 9th, 2014 at 15:45 | #9

Your expertise is no longer required.

8. November 9th, 2014 at 15:48 | #10

- Norjan Marit Bj?rgen oli kisojen hiihtokuningatar ja Petter Northug hiihtokuningas. M?kihypyss? It?vallan Thomas Morgenstern voitti kolme kultaa ja yhden hopean, Gregor Schlierenzauer kolme kultaa. Yhditetyss? Saksa voitti henkil?kohtaisissa kisoissa nelj? jaossa olevista kuudesta mitalista, mutta h?visi molemmat viestit It?vallalle.

9. November 9th, 2014 at 15:49 | #11

There are circumstances in which banks have shown themselves willing to take losses on the mortgages they own. One is when they sell a big portfolio of mortgages to some third-party investor: such portfolios are often sold at just 10 percent or 20 percent of the face value of the mortgages if a lot of those mortgages are in default. Another scenario, and it happens pretty frequently, is the short sale, in which a homeowner sells a house and hands over all the proceeds to the bank, and in turn the bank writes off the mortgage, even though it isn’t fully paid off. Then, of course, there’s the worst scenario of all: you fall behind on your mortgage, and the bank forecloses on your property, taking over the deed to the house. At that point, the bank will turn around and sell the property, almost certainly for less money than it was owed on the mortgage, and take a loss.

10. November 9th, 2014 at 15:52 | #12

ウェブサイトコンタクトページを持っているあなたはいますか? あなた| シュート送信私がしたいのですが、問題が苦戦それを見つけるのが、私はあるんです。あなたは公聴会に興味があるかもしれないあなたのブログのための私はいくつかを持っている。いずれにしても、素晴らしい時間をかけてサイトと私は拡張する開発、それを楽しみにしています。
    モンクレール エルミン

11. November 9th, 2014 at 17:19 | #13

Greetings from California! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!

12. November 9th, 2014 at 20:16 | #16
  13. November 9th, 2014 at 20:35 | #17

Rory MacLean’s World Worsts | The Titanic Awards Christian Louboutin Replica tiffany jewelry outlet
    Christian Louboutin Replica

14. November 9th, 2014 at 21:23 | #18

Valentine’s Day gift ideas for handbags

15. November 10th, 2014 at 00:10 | #21

kids moncler|

16. November 10th, 2014 at 01:38 | #23

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My blog discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!
    louis vuitton crossbody latigo leather straps

17. November 10th, 2014 at 01:41 | #24

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you
    louis vuitton luggage orange

18. November 10th, 2014 at 01:45 | #25

|あなたはと考えについて考えたことがあります電子書籍他の上またはゲストオーサリングウェブサイト?あなたが議論 とするのと同じ上のを中心に基づいて私がブログを持って愛は持っている、いくつかの物語/情報を共有する。 観客楽しむだろうあなたの作品私は自分を知っている。場合は電子メールの電子メールあなたがしているでもリモートで興味を持って、お気軽にシュートを送る。
    prada 財布 クチコミ

19. November 10th, 2014 at 02:07 | #26

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!
    nike air max jd sports womens

20. November 10th, 2014 at 02:40 | #27

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.
    lv prada outlet in italy

21. November 10th, 2014 at 03:22 | #28

Along with every thing that seems to be building within this particular area, a significant percentage of opinions are actually relatively radical. Even so, I am sorry, because I do not subscribe to your entire suggestion, all be it exciting none the less. It would seem to everyone that your opinions are generally not totally justified and in actuality you are generally yourself not totally confident of the point. In any case I did enjoy looking at it.
    lv Silk Leopard Stole M74736

22. November 10th, 2014 at 04:59 | #30

biar Khai yang jaga mak dengan ayah kat sini ye.”Suami Sha seorang pengarah syarikatSha dan suaminya menginginkan Khai untuk bekerja di syarikat tersebut tetapi Khai sebaliknyaDia tetap ingin menjaga ayah dan maknya Suatu hari Khai terjatuh dari tangga semasa memperbaiki kabel elektrikBukan itu sahajaKhai juga terkena renjatan elektrik dan dia dimasukkan ke hospitalSha dan suami bergegas menjenguknyaMereka dapat melihat kesan akibat jatuh dikaki Khai “Kenapa Khai menolak bekerja di syarikat abang Sekarang Khai dah jadi macam niKalau dari dulu Khai setujutentu Khai tak akan jadi macam ni.Suatu hari, Segera dia pergi ke arah wanita tersebut apabila dia melihat pemandu kereta itu seperti mahu melanggar wanita itu. Tadi sedang dia berjalan, “Amboi! Rasa nak sumbat mulut Firdayu ni dengan sambal belacan atas meja ni. Mereka berdua kemudiannya bergegas meninggalkan bangunan empat tingkat itu dengan menaiki kereta Ford TX3 milik Aman. “Okay Laili. aku nak kau bukak tingkap tu dan buat-buat terperanjat tau. Ini last snap kita.! hari ni PP Akif yang akan conduct, Apa pasal la mamat ni menyibuk ni?

23. November 10th, 2014 at 05:01 | #31

”Allahuakhbar.” suara azan berkemunandangMeremang bulu romakuTerasa sejuk hati ini bagai disimbah air embun pagiDamaipenuh ketenanganTanpa ku sedariair mataku mengalir “Kami mengerjakan solat maghrib secara bejemaahHatiku benar-benar tenangdisaat mendengar ayat suci al-quran dialun merdu oleh imam Mekah ituSetelah selesai solataku menadah tangan memohon doa “Ya Allah Ya Tuhankuaku bersyukur padamuaku bersyukur ataskurniaanmukau telah memberi aku kesejahteraan hidupYa Allahagung sungguh ciptaanmuAku merendah diri ya allahBerada ditanah sucimu ini membuatkan jiwaku tenang dan damaiYa Allah yang maha pengasihaku begitu kerdil begitu hina Ya Allahhatiku telah dicemari dengan cinta seorang kaum AdamAku hanya insan lemahAku takut akan azabmuAku tidak mampu menahan rindu iniAku telah membuang dirinya dan mengapa kini aku yang dipagut rasa rinduKenapa aku yang menderitaAdakah aku juga mencintainyaYa Allahbantulah akujika benar dia ditakdirkan jodohkukau temukanlah kami dalam keimanan dan ketakwaanDan jika dia bukan jodohkukau hilangkanlah rasa rindu inikau buangkanlah perasaan yang mula bertandang iniAku insan lemahaku tidak mampu melawan segala ketentuanmuKau kuatkanlah hati hambamu ini Ya AllahAmin Ya Rabbalalamin”Seraya itu Balqisha mengesat air mata yang mengalir di pipinyaSungguh Hatiku benar-benar sedih saat iniHanya Allah sahaja yang tahu penderitaan hatinya Namun disatu sudut yang lain pulaada seorang jejaka yang sedang mengadunasib yang samaSiapa sangka dua hati yang membawa diri rupanya bertapak di tanah yang sama Balqisha mencari seliparnyaPayah dia menemukan selipar itu keranapandangan telah dihalang oleh tubuh-tubuh sasa orang arabBalqisha tidak dapat mengimbangi tubuhnya apabila dia terpijak kain yang dipakainyaTubuhnya terdorong ke belakang dan hampir terjatuh namun sempat diselamatkan oleh seseorang Lelaki itu amat terkejut apabila melihat ada seorang gadis yang hampir terjatuhlantas dia memaut tubuh langsing gadis yang hampir terjatuh ituPada saat itu sepasang mata bundar milik Balqisha tertancap pada seraut wajah yang amat yang dirinduinyaJantungnya bergetar hebatterasa kehangatan tangan lelaki itu mejalar di seluruh tubuhnya “Firdaus ”Sebut Balqisha perlahanBalqisha cuba berdiri tegak dan melepaskan pautan tangan lelaki ituMatanya terkebil-kebil memandang wajah Firdaus Balqisha mengetap bibirKalau ikutkan hatiingin sahaja dia meluahkan rasa yang terbuku dihatiDisaat Balqisha ingin meluahkan rasaFirdaus berpaling dan pantas ingin berlaluBalqisha terkejut dengan tindakan lelaki ituPada fikirannya Firdaus akan meluahkan rasa rindunya tetapi apa yang terjadi adalah sebaliknya “Firdaus kenapa awak pergiSudah hilangkah rasa cinta awak buat sayaManacinta yang awak hulurkan dulu”Soalku lirihHati Firdaus tersentuh melihat gadis kesayangannya seolah-olah berjauh hati. Sebelum Maghrib menjelma kami sudah sampai Masjidil Haram.?? Kehairanan dengan soalan tergantung.??Sepi.“Sarah?? Romantiknya dia.hatinya tersenyum Seketika ketawanya meledak apabila melihat Sarah yang terlebih aksi pulakTiba-tiba telefonnya berdering. Abang kata abang akan berlaku adil tapi kenapa abang sayang perempuan ni lebih? Jerit Jamilah di dalam hati Matanya mencerlun tajam ke muka Nina yang masih teresak-esak dibelasahnya tadi Puas hatinya melihatkan Nina begitu Aku akan pastikan kau akan diceraikan Azam Jamilah di dalam hati***Fakrul menyanyi-nyanyi kecil sambil tangannya lincah membasuh keretanya Ezani tersenyum melihat gelagat suaminya itu Kepalanya digeleng-geleng“Apa yang tersenyum sorang-sorang tu sayang Dah tu tergeleng-geleng” tegur Fakrul Lucu pula melihat gelagat isterinya itu“Abang tulah Dahlah tak pakai baju Pakai seluar pendek je Rambut tu pun serabai je Sebijik je macam ‘apek longsi’ jual botol tepi jalan” kata-kata Ezani itu diikuti oleh ketawa halus“Owh.“Erm?? dia tak reti nak masak sambal kerang kegemaran boyfriendnya, Silakan Puan Ain”.

24. November 10th, 2014 at 05:02 | #32

Keluarkan duit.panggil orang main woi-woi je!Atau pengkid? Tapi dia berkeras juga hendak jumpa siap nak jemput aku lagi. nanti akak belanja makanan best”, Dah lama dia minat kat awak. boleh? Entah-entah esok ada orang masuk meminang, kemudian duduk berhadapan dengan adiknya. siapa dia?

25. November 10th, 2014 at 05:04 | #33

Tetap menjaga kemuliaan diri. Tidak menjawab pertanyaanku. Talib yang sedang asyik memandu menyampuk perbualan kami. Hingar bingar jadinya. Sekujur tubuh wanita separuh bogel yang berlumuran darah terbujur kaku di tepi katil.Lebih kurang dalam 30 minit Aqid duduk di luar wad,Cikgu Arif hanya tersenyum sambil berkata “tapi jasa kamu sebentar tadi telah membuatkan saya rasa sayang pada kamu seperti anak saya sendiri. Aku tak sangka sebab utama dia menolak aku kerana dia tahu waktu itu da sudah tidak mempunyai masa lagi. yang pasti ada banyak soalan yang inginku tanyakan kepdanya. Han hanya memerhati dengan perasaan cemburu dan kecewa.

26. November 10th, 2014 at 05:05 | #34

Zali tersengih. mana ada!Sakitlah seng…erk!Cerpen : Cinta si jambu batu Nama Pena : Alisha DiyanaMacam manalahReally. Usai memanjat doa kerana masih diberi nyawa dan sebuah keluarga,Mungkin itu yang terbaik buat diri dan adik-adiknya. Bagaimana seorang tuan boleh mentaati seseorang yang sepatutnya taat kepadanya? suami umur 19, namun tidak seindah cintanya.

27. November 10th, 2014 at 05:18 | #35

Suara ketakutkan.” Mia sudah mula fikirkan yang bukan-bukan. Habis. dikepak-kepakkan secara membabi buta oleh ribuan gagak tersebut.” soal Ashraf sambil memegang erat sampul surat tersebut. “Haishh?? apa kehal ni? Masa ambil keputusan pun, Tapi Aira cuma sebut dalam hati.Hadiah yang aku pegang segera dimasukkan ke dalam beg.aku dan Siti segera pergi ke wad yang menempatkan Iman.

1. January 4th, 2014 at 17:42 | #1