Johnny Jet’s World Worsts
Name Johnny Jet (a.k.a John E. DiScala)
Who? He travels roughly 150,000 miles and visits about 20 countries each year. He and his website www.JohnnyJet.com have been featured over 1,500 times in major publications including Outside Magazine, which listed him as having one of the world’s best “dream jobs.”
Countries Visited 60, plus or minus 5
1. Worst Place I’ve Been Tijuana. This was even before all the violence. Place is dirty, depressing and full of scam artists.
2. Worst Flight Sun Air in Fiji before they got their newer, larger planes. Everything was smooth on my puddle jump ride to Savusavu until we went over the mountain range. We hit turbulence, an alarm went off, the plane dropped and I had to pound my heart a couple of times to start that sucker back up once we flattened out. When we landed I not only kissed the ground, I made out with it.
3. Worst Touristy Thing I Did A Desert Safari in Abu Dhabi. Sat in the very back seat (where kids are supposed to sit) and got so car sick bashing the sand dunes that I begged and tried to bribe the driver to let me out. I get nauseous writing about it.
4. Worst Taxi Ride Nagpur, India to Madhya Pradesh. Craziest 90-kilometer, two-and-a-half-hour drive you will ever do. Everyone is passing, even on blind turns. Huge overloaded trucks, packed buses, tuk-tuks, scooters with entire families, cyclists, free-roaming livestock, dogs, monkeys, street hawkers, beggars and pedestrians. Technically, there are lanes, but no one seems to stay in them. It’s a free for all.
5. Worst Beach Condado Beach, San Juan, Puerto Rico. While I was there, a 13-year-old boy drowned. As the rescue team searched for his body well into the next day, another man swimming there also drowned, right next to the searchers.