Home > Famous Travelers > Thomas Kohnstamm’s World Worsts

Thomas Kohnstamm’s World Worsts

thomas

Name Thomas Kohnstamm
Who? Has written over a dozen Lonely Planet guidebooks before he went on to write the funny, truthful, behind-the-scenes-of-guidebook-writing bestseller: Do Travel Writers Go to Hell?: A Swashbuckling Tale of High Adventures, Questionable Ethics, and Professional Hedonism. He has also contributed to Travel + Leisure, Time Out New York, Forbes and numerous other publications. He is at work on a new book about the first Amazonian to attend Oxford.
Age 33
Countries Visited 50+

1. Worst Hostel I’ll never forget the smell of the hostel in Costa Rica (back in ’98) with the decomposing rat under the bed.
2. Worst Bus Ride Nighttime Greyhound from Port Authority to DC. Hands down. Another one that wasn’t terrible – but was rather funny – happened on a bus in Venezuela: a Dutch friend (who couldn’t read Spanish) overlooked the “urination only” sign on the bathroom door. After taking care of business, he was accosted by the bus stewardess. She promptly checked the stall, upbraided him in front of the other passengers and fined him the equivalent of $12. He tried to deny it, but she publicly refuted him with all sorts of graphic evidence. I hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time.
3. Worst Street Food Random pig organs reheated atop a sheet of corrugated metal. No idea which organs they were. Protein is hard to come by in some parts of the Andes.
4. Worst TV Travel Personality I have a fair amount of respect for anyone who can pull off a travel show. I will say that if I were truly lost in the middle of nowhere that I’d rather run into Survivorman Les Stroud than the relatively more famous Bear Grylls. Giada de Laurentiis (or her writers) would fail Travel Writing 101 with the incessant commentary on “gorgeous sunsets” and “yummy dinners.” But with a famous family and other obvious assets, viewers probably give you a bit more leeway to suck.
5. Worst Guidebook Series People expect me to say Lonely Planet, but I actually think that LP is one of the best. I really don’t dig Fodor’s or Frommer’s – I am not their intended audience. That said, I’d argue that all guidebooks have weaknesses and they are best used as a simple tool for trip organization rather than a paint-by-the-numbers approach to travel.

Famous Travelers , , , , , ,

1. September 14th, 2014 at 02:58 | #1

now this crowd become called the “want to be rich” as they are still some ways separate from at present told apart as enormously well-off, but are enroute currently there.

2. September 14th, 2014 at 11:59 | #2

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Many thanks!

3. September 14th, 2014 at 12:04 | #3

also necessitating a big open space and as well as the need to buy more and more fill to try everything “MiCoach” provides you, think about problems with the video game.

4. September 14th, 2014 at 15:34 | #4

Water fountain Area Institution Region Superintendent Marc Ecker reported in the Might 20 classes board meeting which he will probably leave the workplace throughout December, capping away from in excess of 16 several years in the helm on the region. [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=north-face-rain-jacket-clearance]north face rain jacket clearance[/url]
    As soon as the Several.8-magnitude 1906 earthquake, the twentieth millennium seemed to be abnormally firm, he said. Consequently, a good earth quake bunch can be delayed, the scientists claimed. [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=north-face-catalyst]north face catalyst[/url]
    In which: Dana Cove Place on OC Boating Activities Center, 34451 Ensenada Place, Dana Stage [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=north-face-rain-jacket-men]north face rain jacket men[/url]
    05/16/2014 05:12:Thirty In the evening PDT [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=north-face-cats-meow]north face cats meow[/url]
    Information seemed to be been given a white colored U-Haul pickup truck have been seen previous at the Prohibiting home. That it was considered to be travelling eastern from Rector. [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=north-face-jackets-fleece]north face jackets fleece[/url]
    Connected: [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=north-face-fleece-on-sale]north face fleece on sale[/url]
    Whitson as well as Lewis wasn’t pulled from the Bulb by Tuesday daytime, but the forcible foreclosure could possibly be emerging. [url=http://www.siounis.com/product_id.php?p=the-north-face-for-women]the north face for women[/url]
    The current shooting strong throughout Salinas is dreadful (May possibly 21 years old).

5. September 18th, 2014 at 08:17 | #6

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it

6. September 24th, 2014 at 05:23 | #7
  7. October 1st, 2014 at 13:56 | #8
  8. October 13th, 2014 at 00:50 | #9

Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a
    material! present here at this website, thanks admin of this web site.

9. October 21st, 2014 at 12:10 | #10

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% sure. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10. October 21st, 2014 at 12:26 | #11

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

11. October 21st, 2014 at 13:58 | #12

ヘイ!ポスト|私は本当に|あなたのブログの記事。同じを扱う上で行く他のブログ/ウェブサイト/フォーラム被験者|あなたはお勧めを提案することはできますか? どうもありがとうおかげでトン!
    diorissimo 財布